I am excited to be part of launching a new role at the San Luis Obispo County Office of Education: I am here to serve the county as the Program Specialist for Professional Development and Instructional Support with various efforts across the Central Coast. The goal of this role is to be a “connector” of specialists, content experts, professional learners and reflective practitioners across the county.
- Securing evidence-based options for meaningful professional development that builds capacity in people, groups, schools, and districts.
- Supporting the collaborative learning dialogues occurring as part of the LCAP process including the interpretation, reflection, and application of the recent LCAP Dashboard data.
- Assisting in the launch of the Teacher Induction Program (TIP) new results-oriented New Teacher Center (NTC) program addressing teacher induction, instructional coaching, and school leadership development.
- Writing a new Clear Administrative Services Credential (CASC) program to be implemented Fall, 2018. It is an honor to be part of the growth and enhancement of these programs.
My role in serving local districts individually and collectively is meant to augment the incredible work already being done in our county. On October 9th we will see the impressive district-specific professional learning initiatives across the Central Coast. Some examples:
- SLOCOE’s Alternative Education staff will be engaging with Sarah Ward to learn more about Executive Functioning.
- Atascadero Unified School District will have opportunities to grow in their practice of using Thinking Maps and explore Project Based Learning.
- Paso Robles Unified School District has launched one-to-one technology and will be providing support for successful implementation of this tremendous initiative as well as grade level collaboratives.
- Templeton Unified School District will also share their learning and implementation of Thinking Maps as well as Write from the Beginning and rigorous curriculum design of NGSS.
It has been a privilege to connect with various educators, district leaders and LCAP stakeholders across the county to learn about the inspiring work that is being accomplished. I look forward to continuing to partner with the districts in support of their visions for continuous learning and student success. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to connect or share your ideas for professional learning and instructional support in San Luis Obispo County. Devon Hodgson, Ed.D. Program Specialist, Professional Development and Instructional Support Educational Support Services Department San Luis Obispo County Office of Education firstname.lastname@example.org 805-782-7276