Message from the Superintendent
I consider it an honor and privilege to serve as your County Superintendent of Schools. I pledge to provide leadership and service for all schools throughout San Luis Obispo County. The County Superintendent of Schools serves as a spokesperson and advocate for the San Luis Obispo County students, staff and parents. The partnerships between the schools, families, and the larger community are the backbone of any success in the changing world of education.
Research indicates that whom we train and employ as our classroom teachers and school principals, has a great deal of influence on student success. We cannot underestimate the value of a highly qualified teacher or school administrator. It is imperative that we act now to encourage intelligent young people to consider education as a profession.
To promote student success by supporting the work of local school districts, delivering specialized student services, and providing countywide leadership and advocacy for the needs of all children.
San Luis Obispo County will be an educational community dedicated to preparing all children and youth for responsible citizenship, meaningful work, and lifelong learning.
What We Do
- Support for Districts – Our County has over 34,000 students enrolled in over 75 schools in the 10 school districts in the county. Our schools stretch from Nipomo to Parkfield and from the Lucia Mar Unified School District with over 10,000 students to the Pleasant Valley Joint Union Elementary School District with 125 students. The County Office of Education provides academic and financial support and assistance regardless of district size. We serve as a source of information and we provide a variety of professional development and training opportunities for both the teaching and non-teaching staff in the county. We also provide assistance to all districts to maintain fiscal solvency and have statutory authority to exercise fiscal oversight for districts.
- Specialized Student Services – We provide instruction to students in a variety of classrooms and centers for high-need students. The needs of these students range from students with severe educational disabilities to students who are at high risk of dropping out of school. We also operate California State Preschool classes, as well as the Rancho El Chorro Environmental Education Center and Outdoor School
- Countywide Leadership and Advocacy – Our office serves as a focal point for community education about our schools. We are able to provide a county-wide perspective on educational issues that might arise locally or at the state and national level. Our office is also in a position to mobilize local interests on behalf of providing a quality education for all students.
Boards, Committees and Associations
- County Board of Education
- County Committee on School District Organization
- San Luis Obispo County School Boards Association
3350 Education Drive
San Luis Obispo, Ca 93405
Tel. 805-543-7732 | Fax 805-541-2605