Early Learning Centers
By California State and First 5 SLO
Early Learning Centers offer a parent and child education program to low and moderate-income families. This program is funded by the California State Department of Education and First 5 of San Luis Obispo County. The program is administered through the San Luis Obispo County Office of Education.
OUR CHILD EDUCATION PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- Physical development – small muscle and large muscle coordination skills.
- Dental, nutrition and safety education.
- Emotional and social development through play with other children.
- Breakfast or a nutritious snack is provided daily through the Child & Adult Care Food Program.
- Child-directed activities to develop independence, problem-solving, decision-making and creative thinking skills.
- Teacher-planned activities to expand the children’s interests and knowledge.
- Language development and communication skills.
- Cognitive development – pre-academic skills for reading, mathematics and science.
- Creative exploration – art, music, dance, and drama
OUR PARENT EDUCATION PROGRAM INCLUDES OPPORTUNITIES TO:
- Focus on the important role parents play in their child’s education.
- Build supportive relationships with other parents and teachers.
- Listen to speakers on topics such as positive discipline, health and nutrition, preparing your child for kindergarten, first aid, child safety both indoors and outside, etc.
- Learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, social and creative development of children.
- One of the most important aspects of our program is “parent education and involvement”.
The following participation is needed in order to ensure the required adult/child ratios for licensing and the educational goals for both the children and families in our program:
- Assure full attendance for your child (5 days per week for a 3 hour period)
- Transport your child to and from school at the designated time (we do not offer transportation)
- Attend parent education meetings; and
- Participate twice per month in the classroom