Early Childhood Partnerships Resources
- http://first5slo.org – This site is offered to the public by the First 5-Children and Families Commission of San Luis Obispo County. This site’s purpose is to inform and seek input as the Commission carries out its duty in the administration of the funds allocated to San Luis Obispo County through the California Children and Families Act of 1998.
- San Luis Obispo County Early Learning Centers. Early Learning Centers offer a parent and child education program to low and moderate-income families. This program is funded by the California State Department of Education and First 5 of San Luis Obispo County.
- https://cfsslo.org/ – Center for Family Strengthening is the designated San Luis Obispo County Child Abuse Prevention Council. The primary purpose of this locally-based non-profit organization is to prevent child abuse and neglect and strenghthen families through education and advocacy.
- www.CSBA.org – The California School Boards Association is a collaborative group of virtually all of the state’s more than 1,000 school districts and county offices of education.
- www.childrennow.org – Visit Children Now’s annual Report Card for comprehensive county-by-county data for the State of California and statewide trends.
- www.childstats.gov – This web site offers access to federal and state statistics and reports on children and their families, including: population and family characteristics, economic security, health, behavior and social environment, and education. Reports of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics include America’s Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being, the annual Federal monitoring report on the status of the Nation’s children, and Nurturing Fatherhood.
- www.childtrends.org – Website of an organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and families by providing research and data to inform decision-making that affects children. Offers comprehensive databank with statistics on a variety of children’s issues.
- http://www.brainconnection.com/ – Learn about how our brains work, and test your brain’s abilities with interactive games, too. Provides the latest scientific findings in an easy-to-understand language and format.
- www.ccfc.ca.gov – Visit the statewide organization of Children and Families First for an overview of Prop 10, each of the County Commissions, and more.
- www.safekids.org – Website of the National SAFE KIDS Campaign is the first and only national non-profit organization dedicated solely to the prevention of unintentional childhood injury – the number one killer of children ages 14 and under.
- www.mothering.com – Website of Mothering magazine, which addresses contemporary health, personal, environmental, medical, and lifestyle issues I an upbeat, intelligent, compassionate, and courageous way. Each issue contains philosophical inspiration and practical advice about family living. Topics are as diverse as circumcision, vaccinations, organic foods, childhood illnesses, home birth, ear infections, parenting teens, web site information, midwifery, and homeopathy.
- http://www.iparentinglife.com/– Contains pregnancy and parenting information, interaction, resources and lots of product information. Comprehensive information from preconception to young adults.
- http://www.zerotothree.org/ – Billing itself as “The Nation’s Leading Resource on the First Year’s of Life,” this site emphasizes the importance of childhood development in the early years. Provides in-depth information on how children grow and learn, and how parents can foster their child’s development..
- http://www.positiveparenting.com/ – Positive Parenting is dedicated to providing resources and information to help make parenting more rewarding, effective and fun!
- http://www.teachingstrategies.com – Building your Baby’s Brain
- https://sloparents.org/ – Parent Connection of San Luis Obispo County is a web-based family resource center with a current list of parenting classes and parenting support services in SLO County.
Child Care and Early Childhood Development
- http://www.naeyc.org/ – Find out about the National Association for the Education of Young Children, dedicated to early-childhood education. Covers public policy issues and news, conferences, seminars and products.
- http://www.cwla.org – The Child Welfare League of America is the nation’ oldest and largest membership-based child welfare organization. We are committed to engaging people everywhere in promoting the well-being of children, youth, and their families, and protecting every child from harm.
Policy & Advocacy for Children
- http://www.connectingforkids.org/ – This web site offers a place on the Internet for adults-parents, grandparents, educators, policymakers and others-who want to become more active citizens, from volunteering to voting with kids in mind.
- http://www.caichildlaw.org – Website for the Information Clearinghouse on Children, which works to provide and disseminate timely information on children’s issues.
- http://www.zerotothree.org/ – Billing itself as “The Nation’s Leading Resource on the First Year’s of Life,” this site educates parents on the importance of early childhood development and provides professionals who work to improve the lives of this age group with support services and the latest research.
- http://www.reachoutandread.org/ – Reach Out and Read is a program that promotes early literacy by bringing new books and advice about the importance of reading aloud into the pediatric exam room.
- Http://www.childrensdefense.org – Children’s Defense Fund