Updates from CDE
The start of the school year is always full of anticipation and preparation as we ready ourselves to make a difference for our SLO county students. For some of you, classrooms are in full swing as this is published. We are excited to deliver the ESS Missive each week and will continue to provide you with timely and relevant information that supports your work.
California continues its improvement of programs and revision of standards/frameworks. A few of the key items for 18-19 include the following:
- Over the summer, California ESSA plan was approved by the Federal Department of Education. There were adjustments made as to how the California Dashboard metrics will be used for purposes of ESSA reporting and identification of low performing schools/districts.
- The NGSS instructional materials adoption moves forward at the state level. The Review Panel’s Report of Findings has been forwarded to the Instructional Quality Commission and to the State Board of Education at the November 8-9, 2018 meeting for final approval/adoption. Locally the SLO Publishers Fair is set for December 6th, 2018.
- The California School Dashboard continues to evolve as new metrics are included and others are refined. In Fall 2018, we will see Chronic Absenteeism reported as both status and change. The College Career Indicator will include status and Graduation Rates will be calculated differently based on feedback from the Federal Department of Education. The State Board of Education also approved expansion of the Safety Net to both the Graduation Rate Indicator and the Suspension Rate Indicator for all student groups, that have 30-149 students cumulatively enrolled. CDE is also working on a “refresh” of the Dashboard website to make the information more easily accessible to all stakeholders.
- The ELPAC test is being fully implemented over this year. The State will still need to work through establishing thresholds for each level. The thresholds will be different for each grade level and will include going from a three-digit threshold to a four digit one. CDE will provide guidance on reclassification criteria for the state after this is all determined. Early indications are that it might take some time for the guidance to emerge. Now that students are being tested on the ELPAC, the CA Dashboard English Learner Progress Indicator is on a three-year timeline to be fully implemented.
During the 18-19 school year, there will be a number of new standards or frameworks introduced by CDE. Below are links to get more information on each of these to where feedback can be given as they are developed and approved.
2019 Health Education Framework:
The 2019 revision of the Health Education Framework is progressing through the approval process. The second 60-day public review and comment period is scheduled to take place in the fall of 2018. Public comment regarding the framework may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, and access to the current draft, please visit the CDE 2019 Health Education Framework web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/he/cf/.
2019 California Computer Science Standards:
These are the first computer science standards in California history. The public may continue to submit comments via email to email@example.com For more information please visit the CDE 2019 California Computer Science Standards web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/computerscicontentstds.asp.
2019 World Language Standards:
The draft WL Standards and an online survey to collect public comment were posted on the CDE website on August 1,2018, for the 60-day public review and comment period. Public comment regarding the standards and process may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information lease visit the CDE 2019 World Language Standards web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/worldlanguage.asp.
2019 Visual and Performing Arts Standards:
The VAPA Standards and an online survey to collect public comment were posted on the CDE website on August 1, 2018, for the 60-day public review and comment period. Public comment regarding the standards may also be submitted via email to email@example.com For more information please visit the CDE 2019 Visual and Performing Arts Standards web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/vapacontentstds.asp.
Educational Support Services
- San Luis Obispo County Office of Education
- Office of James J. Brescia, Ed.D.
- 3350 Education Drive
- San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
- Tel: 805-543-7732
- Contact SLOCOE
- Contact Webmaster
- Live Chat